Four Bands & THREE Strings
The Pikes Peak Home School Band & Strings (PPHSB&S), which was founded by Bill Callen in 2000, is under the direction of Mr. Callen, Associate Director, Mark Israel, and String Instructor, Rebekah Emery. It has grown immensely since, and is the only home-school band/orchestra program of its kind in Colorado. The PPHSB&S allows students ages 9 through high school to perfect a wind or string instrument in a non-competitive, classroom-like setting. Mr. Callen and Mr. Israel provide instruction for bands for beginners, intermediate students and two bands for advanced students. Ms. Emery provides instruction to students new to learning their string instruments, as well as those students at the intermediate and advanced level.
The Pikes Peak Home School Band and Strings program fills a void in the curriculum and in the activities of home-schooled children. Students have the opportunity to learn and play their musical instruments in an educational environment with their peers. It is noteworthy that these students receive more individualized instruction and personal attention than they would in a school setting.
We encourage parents to play in the band also, either playing the instrument they played in junior high/high school/college or learning a new instrument along with their child. This is a very unique opportunity not offered anywhere else.
We have four bands and two string classes grouped according to experience and ability:
- Beginning band – Students who have had little or no experience playing a band instrument.
- Intermediate band – Students who have had at least one year experience playing their instrument.
- Advanced 2 band – Students who have had at least two years of experience and students who are learning a second instrument.
- Advanced 1 band – The most advanced students.
All instruments are taught, and most students play in multiple bands on different instruments, which is a luxury most music programs do not allow. We encourage students who are proficient on one instrument to learn a second instrument and play both in separate bands. Several students have taken advantage of this in the past and continue to do so.
There is also an Orchestra and Rebekah Emery is the instructor for these three levels of experience:
- Advanced Strings – Students with at least two years of experience.
- Beginner Strings – Students who have had little to no experience playing a string instrument.
- Intermediate Strings – Students who have had at least one year’s experience playing their instrument.
The musical ensembles rehearse for 45 minutes on both Monday and Wednesday afternoons at Friendship Assembly of God Church, located at 3685 New Center Point, Colorado Springs, CO.