Four bands & Two String Classes
The Pikes Peak Home School Band & Strings (PPHSB&S) was founded by Bill Callen in 2000. It has grown immensely since, and is the only home-school band/orchestra program of it’s kind in Colorado. The PPHSB&S allows students ages 9 through high school to perfect a wind or string instrument in a non-competitive, classroom-like setting. We encourage parents to play in the band also, either playing the instrument they played in junior high/high school/college or learning a new instrument along with their child. This is a very unique opportunity not offered anywhere else.
We have four bands and two string classes grouped according to experience and ability:
- Beginning band – Students who have had little or no experience playing a band instrument.
- Intermediate band – Students who have had at least one year’s experience playing their instrument.
- Advanced 2 band – Students who have had at least two years of experience and students who are learning a second instrument.
- Advanced 1 band – The most advanced students.
All instruments are taught, and most students play in multiple bands on different instruments, which is a luxury most music programs do not allow. We encourage students who are proficient on one instrument to learn a second instrument and play both in separate bands. Several students have taken advantage of this in the past and continue to do so.
There is also an Orchestra and Rebekah Emery is the instructor for these two levels of experience:
- Beginner Strings – Students who have had little to no experience playing a string instrument.
- Intermediate Strings – Students who have had at least one year’s experience playing their instrument.
The home-school band and orchestra meets on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Advanced Band 2 in Rehearsal
Beginning Band in Rehearsal
Intermediate String Classes in Rehearsal
Founder, Bill Callen and Associate Director, Mark Israel instruct students on the following band instruments:
Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba and Percussion.
Rebekah Emery teaches her students in the following string instruments:
Violin, Viola, Cello and String Bass